The Funicular has been operating since 1870, connecting the Danube bank with the Castle District. Its construction was initiated by Ödön Széchenyi, the son of István Széchenyi. When it was built, there was only one similar structure in entire Europe. It has been on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1987 as one of the defining elements of Budapest’s Danube view. It runs on a 95-meter section between Clark Adam Square and Sándor Palace, while rising 50 meters. The Funicular is operated by BKV and cannot be used with traditional tickets or passes. The two cars of the funicular (Margit and Gellért) are connected in a pendulum-like manner, while one car goes upwards the other carries passengers downwards.
The Funicular is 2.4 km away from our hostel on foot and 2.8 km by car. It can be reached by public transport in 20 minutes by bus number 5 (to Alagút utca stop).