The springs erupting in the area of Gellért Baths have already been mentioned in records from the 15th century. Later, the Turks also liked it, as it was bigger and had hotter water than other Buda baths of the time. In the 17th century, it was called Sárosfürdő (muddy bath) because of the fine spring mud that came with the spring water and settled on the bottom of the pools. The Gellért Baths, built in the Art Nouveau style, opened its doors in 1918, and then expanded in 1927 with the wave beach bath and in 1934 with the whirlpool bath. During the modernization, the indoor seating pool, the outdoor seating pool and the children’s pool have been renovated and equipped with state-of-the-art filter-rotating equipment. Today, almost all medical services are available at Gellért Spa. It also has a complex spa department and an inhaler.
The spa is 2.2 km away from our hostel on foot and 3.2 km by car. It can be reached by public transport in 14 minutes by bus number 7/ 133E or by tram 47/ 49 (to Szent Gellért tér – Műegyetem stop).